vRops 6.1 – follow up

Backup in September I wrote a piece when vRealize Operations Manager 6.1 was released. We were pretty excited about it because we were having a few issues with the 6.0.2 version we were running on. Among the problems we were having was vCenter SSO users suddenly not being able to login via the “All vCenters” option on the frontpage and selecting the individual vCenters to login to gave unpredictable results (logging in to vCenter A showed vCenter B’s inventory?!). We also had issues with alerts that we could not cancel – they would just keep piling up and about once a week I would shut the cluster down and start it again as it allowed me to cancel the alerts if I did it at the right time within 10-15 minutes after starting the cluster again.

However as you could also read we ran into an issue with 6.1 update and were forced to roll back and update to 6.0.3 that solved all issues but the login problem. But as we were the first to try an upgrade in production it took a while before a KB came out on the issue. I have had a to do item to write this up for a while so I can’t remember when the KB actually came out however it has not been updated for a month. The KB is 2133563 and notes that there is currently no resolution to the issue.

I recently spoke to a VMware employee who told me that the issue is in the xdb database and that the upgrade process is encountering something that either should not be in the xdb or that is missing. This causes the conversion from xdb to Cassandra to fail and the upgrade process to fail. I’m looking forward to seeing when a proper fix will come out.

We are closing in on the end of the year so I hope to be able to finish up a few blog articles before entering the new year – on the to do are a few items about vRA 7 and Cisco UCS with ESXi 5.5 and 6.

Leave a Reply