Last week I was called up by one of our Windows Admins. He had some issues with a VM running Windows and IIS. As we were talking he also casually mentioned another error he was seeing that was “caused by VMware”. I was a bit sceptic as you might imagine 🙂
He was seeing this error when he attempted to browse the IIS web page by clicking the link available in the IIS Manager:
Notice the VMware icon in the bottom. This is an error from VMware tools! What? As any sane person would do I consulted Google. And got a hit here – https://communities.vmware.com/message/2349884
The third reply post gave me the answer. Seems that when installing VMware Tools it might associate itself with HTTP and HTTPS links. This would then cause a click on the link in IIS Manager to call VMware Tools which is unable to service the request. The fix is pretty straight forward.
Go to Control Panel, then Default Programs and Set Associations. Scroll down to the Protocols section and locate HTTP and HTTPS. Make sure these are set to your browser of choice – in the image below I set them back to Internet Explorer (he was a Windows Sysadm after all 🙂 ). If the association is wrong it would be set to Default Host Application as shown for TELNET.
Just before Christmas I got a new laptop from work to replace my old Lenovo T420s which had reached it’s end of life. To replace it I got a Dell Latitude E7440 with I7 CPU, 16 GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. A lot more power packed in to a case of roughly the same size.
Now first thing I did after receiving the laptop was to install Windows 8.1 so that I could get started. But after doing initial installs and joining our domain something was wrong. Normally you can right click the Windows “Start Button” in Windows 8.1 and get shortcuts to Control Panel, Device Manager and the likes. But this was not working! Nothing happened when I right clicked the logo. And with Windows 8.1 and being joined to a domain, searching for administrative tools does not work. You can’t search for Control Panel to find it. So I had come to rely on this context menu.
So after a lot of searching and talking to my colleagues I finally found the issue. The context menu is controlled by a folder in:
In this folder should be a folder called WinX. This folder contains the shortcuts that are used for the context menu. If this folder is missing the context menu won’t work. Now the recommendation I found was to copy this folder from a machine where it was working. But there is a much easier solution. The same folder is located in the “default” profile in this location:
So just copying this solved my problem 🙂